What are the rules for driving in the UK?
2. What is the procedure for using
3. What types of accessories
are available in the house?
4. What are some local places I can
5 . Where can I go golfing?
6 . Where can I get the essentials food/newspapers/mail?
7 . Are there tools available?
8 . Where are the keys kept?
9 . Other household supplies?
10 . What do I do with garbage?
11 . Is there a computer available
12. How do I get to Paris?
13. Should I take English money?
14. Where can I eat out?
Use of the garden.
16. What are the
emergency phone numbers?
17. Car parking.
18. Additional accomodations (B &
1. Driving in the UK
For your safety and the safety of others,
please remember the following traffic rules:
- Drive on the LEFT hand side of the road
- M = Motor way (Thruway)
- A = Main Roads
- Round-A-Bouts = Traffic Circle
When approaching Round-A-Bouts, look
to your RIGHT and they have the RIGHT OF WAY. You will
soon get used to it as the Brits are very understanding
of French, Italian and Americans. Be aggressive going
into the circles but stay in your lane until you decide
to exit. Go around again if you miss your exit.
In smaller towns and villages the same
system operates, but with a circle painted on the road,
unlike the “island” usually encountered
in metro areas and on major roads. Some villages have
adopted a system when there is only room for one car
to safely proceed, i.e. narrow bridge. Such places you
will see a sign like this
With the white arrow shown you have the right of way.
When the RED arrow is pointing forward, the approaching
car has the right of way. It is best to give the approaching
car the benefit of the doubt.
2. Phone/Internet Connection
The telephone number at Penney Cottage is:
01985 841 062 (for calls in UK).
- To call people inside the (01985) area, you need to
only dial the last 6 digits
- To call people outside the (01985) area, you need
to know the area code
- To call the USA, dial 001 + area code + number
- Your friends in the USA can call you by dialing 011
44 1985 841 062
- Please do not abuse the phone service and if you make
long distance calls, you
_can reimburse me for any
- See #11 for internet connection.
3. Household Accessories
the kitchen cabinet there is a red plastic file that
has all the instructions
_ for the CD, TV, vacuum
cleaner, iron, refrigerator, washer & dryer, fax
_ machine and dishwasher.
- NOTE: England is on 220V. If you need to use your
USA gizmos, I have
_ supplied an adapter
and you will find it in the kitchen cabinet.
- There is a hair dryer & curler in the bathroom
and a wall socket for electric shavers.
Places to Visit
- There is also on file, maps and brochures
of places to visit
- The Cotswolds is wonderful for antiques
- Bath is super for architecture, film and theater
- Salisbury is excellent as a city with a market town
- Longleat is close and a wonderful day trip
- Oxford and Stratford – nuff said
- Heytesbury is a lovely village to wander through
Be sure to visit the old mill by following the
River Wyle south
_ofrom behind the
- You can visit Dorchester (Hardy County) and visit
the Georgian seaside
_ resort of Weymouth at
the same time. Weymouth is best off season.
- Please leave the maps at Penney Cottage
- Visit the Tourist Information Office, located adjacent
to the Warminster library.
- Golf course listings can be found inDentons Directory.
- Bowood, near Calne, is the most challenging in the
area & has a dresscode.
- The Heytesbury P.O. (located next to the Red Lion
pub) will sell you basic items,
_ i.e. newspapers, bread,
milk, cheese, etc.
_This store closes @ 5:30pm
& 1pm on Wednesday.
- There are two (2) grocery stores in Warminster. One
is located near the train
_ station and is called
LIDL (it closes at 6PM). The other is MORRISONS and
_ is located at the bottom
of town. It is open seven (7) days a week until 9 PM
_ (6PM on Sunday).
Hammer, pliers, screwdrivers are in the sink unit drawer
in the utility room.
These are kept in the wall mounted key cabinet inside
of the kitchen on the right
hand side. Please leave them there when you make your
final departure, except the one key that was given to
you by me. Please return it to me when you get back
to the USA.
9 .Odds & Ends
Scissors, tape, flashlights, needle and cotton are in
the far right hand drawer of the
See instructions on kitchen cabinet for collection dates
Garbage is put in the black plastic bags and put in
the wheeled trolley that is parked outside the kitchen.
Bags are in the utility room above the sink. My house
cleaner will set out the wheeled black and gray bins
for trash collection.
Computer help at Penney Cottage
- Use Warminster Library (Phone # 216022). The service
is free, & you can sign in as a guest.
- There is a Warminster library card on the kitchen
- There is a BT Internet connection.
- Details are in the BT supply box, located in the hallway
Take the train into Paddington from Westbury and a cab
to Kings Cross Station. Then board the Eurostar train.
Phone to make reservations on the Eurostar:
- Eurostar Phone: 01233 617575
- National Rail: 0345 484950
- Credit Card Sale 0845 7000125
Take enough for coffee, sundries but use ATM or credit
card for most purchases.
Heytesbury - .5 Miles - Red Lion- 840-315
- Good food
Heytesbury - 1.0 Miles - Angel - 840-330
- Expensive, Reservations
Upton Lovell - 5 Miles - The Price Leopold -
850-109 - Excellent
Corton - 3 Miles - The Dove - 850-653
Stockton - 7 Miles - The Carriers -
850-653 - Excellent
- Garden furniture is stored in the shed
- The key to the shed is in the key cabinet in the kitchen
Emergency Phone Numbers
- FOR AMBULENCE, FIRE or POLICE - PHONE 999
- For Wiltshire Police Minicom phone 01380
- For Warminster Comm. Hospital phone 212 076
- For Wessex Water phone - 0845 600 4600
- For Southern Electric phone 0845 770 8090
- There are 2 spaces in front of the cottage. My car
permenently occupies (1) space. If you plan on renting
(2) cars please let me know so I can arrange to move
my car during your visit.
Local Bed & Breakfast Choices
- The Resting Post, Heytesbury. Call Felicity on 01985
- Home Farm, Boreham, in Warminster. Call Trish on 01985
_Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Orchard Farm, near Glastonbury/Wells. Call Emma on
01458 851 499.